Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Back to scheduled programming in a minute


but first....



My volcano, Mount Etna, is erupting (again)! I'm seriously in love. I'm not even researching Etna right now and I'm still excited. More importantly, I'm still glad I decided to study it. I knew it was a sexy volcano when I picked it, and I have yet to be disappointed.

Check out today's paroxysm!


I wish I was there to see it in person, but thank goodness for the digital age. If I could, I would sample the most recent lava flows, run chemical analyses on the mineral phases (aka crystals), and do a full petrographic analysis. I want to do a comparative analysis to MELTS models and further develop a hypothesis about the magmatic plumbing system.

Sigh.... I miss petrology. Oh well, I know someday I'll be back. Once I figure out how to get access to journals cheaply I can start MELTS modeling again, and even branch out to other volcanoes. I positively can't wait. 

-MoMo

No comments:

Post a Comment