Saturday, December 10, 2011

Mentors Mentors Everywhere - with great advice to spare!

The American Geophysical Union fall meeting (#AGU2011) has always been a way for me to stay involved with the scientific community, and reconnect with my friends from throughout my scientific career. At a reception early in the week my colleague was discussing a grant she was a co-PI on. She has a similar career working for a scientific non-profit but she is co-PI on a diversity grant. At public events I felt she was treated with greater respect by my colleagues, yet I knew how similar our backgrounds were. My knee-jerk reaction was jealousy, even though that emotion was coupled with excitement for her to be involved with something so positive!

Another LOLcat sums it up....
But then I remembered I was at a meeting with 20,000 geoscientists; a handful of which were my career mentors! (A quick history about myself, I have a tendency to snowball when things aren't exactly to my liking instantly) I decided, instead of getting mad I needed to use this AMAZING opportunity to GET SMART! So I called/emailed all the people I knew were there and asked for help.

The feedback was immensely helpful. I was first despondent about my failure to write a successful grant of ANY variety in grad school. To my surprise, found out that a vast majority of master's-holding students haven't worked on grants, and sometimes the best way to get into that circuit is to be added as a co-PI by somebody who knows the ropes, and the appropriate phrasing already at hand. I didn't realize that I was potentially in the majority. Another mentor mentioned volunteering to edit a journal, and option that I wasn't aware of.

Perhaps the most reassuring moment was when I realized what a phenomenal network I have of colleagues. I'm currently trying to set up a mixer between Scientific 20/30-Somethings in the DC Area because of it. My friends had such great advice about how to take my career to the next level, and really helped me feel less discouraged about where I am after about 2 years in the workforce. I felt proud and it quelled my jealousy because my friend who is working on a grant, was one of the first ones to pull me aside and help me out (that is why you NEVER let jealousy get the best of your friendships!). 

The conversation I most dreaded was with my advisor. I've always been insecure (although conversations over the past two years have helped assuage my fears) about the quality of work I produced as a graduate student. I measured myself against my colleagues who wrote successful grants, and I constantly worried about the quality of my technical writing. Some of the feedback still haunts me. In retrospect, I recognize how much work has helped me further develop my professionalism. I never worried about the science though, I was always steadfast in the quality of it. 

I was however, hesitant of approaching the subject of working on my MELTS research again. To my surprise my advisor, and constant mentor didn't let me down (not because of her letting me down ever, I was just convinced of my utter suckage as a student). She expressed it was a great idea, if nothing else than to keep in the game. I know its ridiculous to put a lot of weight in what other people's opinions, but I always will. The unofficial blessing made me excited and confident about getting back into the research game, but in a way that won't require me to leave my work in science education outreach. I'm getting my cake and eating it too!

PS This post was written from 37,000 ft! HUZZAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment